Sunday, March 27, 2011

Health vs. Wellness...

So I always... before this most recent experience, considered myself rather healthy. Pete and I enjoy active things, we eat somewhat decently, I like vegetables, I get lots of activity for my caloric intake just at my job...
Being hospitalized and all that junk was an eye opener. I still don't think we are doing too badly with how we treat our bodies, but the fibroids situation... just three short years after having three benign tumors elsewhere made me consider that perhaps my life is out of balance somewhere.
I don't aim to be the healthiest person on the planet, I'm not even sure what that would look like, nor do I have the interest to do the research and try and figure that out. However, I would like to make some small changes to improve things. Maybe it will make a difference with the fibroids and eventual surgery. I know one thing though: it surely cannot hurt.
Bad habit #1) We love a lot of activity but we tend to go too hard on our days off doing a crazy bike ride, caming trip, rock climbing, etc and then do nothing the rest of the week. I'm no fitness expert, but I know we are not contributing to our health this way.
Bad Habit #2) I actually looked at the food guide pyramid (mypyramid.gov) for the first time since its been revised the other day. Recommended fruit intake: 2 cups, recommended vegetable intake: 3 cups. Fruit I have done OKAY on but seriously? 3 cups of vegetables??? I don't think I have even approached that anytime recently. Even if you count french fries. On top of not getting the produce I need, I don't take a multi-vitamin. I sorta tried while pregnant, but that is the MOST I have ever taken one since my mom gave me a flinstones with breakfast every day (did my mom even do that? I can't remember) and it was maybe 3-4 times a week.
Bad Habit #3) I don't drink enough water. Nobody does, but I know I supplment too little water intake with too much caffeine / alcohol intake. Not great...
Bad Habit #4) I go so hard during the day that I collapse into bed at night. Bedtime routine has been nearly nonexistent in the last couple years...

So I have been starting to think about slight changes to turn these things... well not around, but just improve them.
Solution #1) gym time. I started today. Of course right now, I am starting VERY SLOWLY. I pedaled a stationary bike at 50rpm for 45 minutes today. Thats like 5 minute miles. Over the next few weeks, I have been given permission to start back swimming and stationary cycling as long as I don't go too hard, and listen to my body. Hopefully at my next post pardum visit I will be given clearance to go back to pretty normal activity but right now I continually remind myself that all of my abdominal muscles were cut through just three short weeks ago. Not to mention I was in a hopsital bed with NO movement for five days.
Solution #2) I'm going to be more conscientious of having a fruit and vegetable atleast at lunch and dinner most days of the week (we will start with a goal of 4?) Also, I do want to find a multi-vitamin because I've accepted the fact that I will probably never be a great eater... pizza just tastes better than salad and I (knock on wood) am not yet at a point in my life of having a metabolism that requires I trade in pizza for salad. In addition to a multi, I'm taking an herb called chaste tree extract. Its supposed to help balance out hormones and an experienced person recommended that it would help with fibroids... we will see.
Solution #3) I do great with water intake when I have a water bottle EVERYWHERE I go. So its time to bust that baby back out.
Solution #4) This is my most immediate solution I am working on. Its been a simple plan so far and I plan to keep it that way as it won't be long before summer nights at the restaurant have me walking in the door at 1am... or later. Before bed every night (I admit, I missed Thursday) I've been taking my herbs with a FULL glass of water (not neccessary but there's that water shortage thing right?), brushing my teeth, washing my face, using mouthwash, and putting moisturizer on my face. I don't know why this has become so hard for me to accomplish as an adult but I am working on it...

So, that's the plan. Its easy to talk big when you are off work and bored to tears (not usually literally to tears, but you know) so we will just work on creating the best habits I can before I head back to the restaurant. There is some crap about it taking 21 days to create a habit and it just so happens I have AT LEAST 21 days left of my leave time. I'm not sure I believe it can happen that quickly, but then again, I can't think of a specific habit I have wanted to make that I stuck with for 21 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment