Monday, March 21, 2011

A fabulous new handbag and attempted Indian food

Well, I finished up sewing project number 3 today. I gave you all a preview last week with the pieces pre-assembly but it really turned out even better than I imagined.
So... without any further bragging, here it is!
Its the biggest bag I've ever had, purse-wise... and now that I'm not carrying around pretty much a full sack lunch all the time like I was while pregnant, I'm not exactly sure what I will put in it, but I'm confident I can figure it out. I'm thinking a kindle... so I always have reading material at my fingertips... (Pete and I browsed best buy today and I've been dropping hints ever since. However, the birthday is still months away)
I did kind of... change up the pattern a bit. And successfully. On the front of the bag, the original instructions just called for the "O-ring" to cross over from the other side and hang. While the weight of the ring did mean it would easily stay like that, it just didn't seem very secure. So, I used two rings instead and fashioned it like those belts we all had atleast one of as kids...

Notice my fancy stitching on the ribbon?? Yep, that is all the sewing machine. I'm not that talented. I just programmed in stitch number 63 and out it came. I barely had to guide the fabric (hence why if you looked carefully, it is a little crooked) I used the same technique to stitch the webbing and ribbon together for the side strap...

So, there you have it! Yard number 3 of fabric used. Next up I am taking a break from the book to help Pete's aunt Amy with dance recital costumes and improve our laundry bags.

In other news, I tried to make lamb vindaloo last night. It is Pete's favorite favorite thing in the whole world and he's been asking to try to make it at home for a while. I used a recipe from Indianfood.com. Seemed like a reasonably credible place to get an Indian food recipe... The result was tasty but nothing like vindaloo. So, the search continues for a proper recipe. What we made definitely had the right combination of spices as there is still a strong and distinct Indian food smell lingering throughout the house. Thankfully, its a warm enough day to leave the windows open!

No comments:

Post a Comment