Tuesday, March 22, 2011

A break from the sewing, but still crafting

I didn't get much sewing done today. I had to tackle the laundry monster growing in piles all over our appartment. You know its gotten out of control when you've been off work for almost three weeks and are still finding work uniforms in the dirty pile.
When I finally clicked on the machine, it was just for a quick mend of Pete's work uniform. Nothing exciting. And then I was off to hang with my mom, aunt, and grandma.
Tonight, we were off to "Color Me Mine." Its one of those paint your own pottery shops. My mom and I have been talking about doing it for almost a year since I went with another bunch of people. It was fun. I had a hard time getting the creative energy flowing, but after a couple laps around the store trying to decide just what item to paint, it came to me.
I painted a margarita glass. I imagined the stem of the glass as the stem of a flower and went from there. My artistic abilities when it comes to flowers are pretty limited (daisy and sunflower in any given color) so it was nothing fancy, but it turned out pretty cute. Here are the pictures from finishing the painting. The colors are pretty subdued because the glaze dries really powdery, it will be a bit brighter after its fired.

There is the outside.... and from the inside, it looks like this:

The shop wil spray everything with a clear glaze and fire it so it will be bright and shiny... and ready in about a week. I'll have to post the complete finished pictures when I get it.

Today was two weeks to the day since Carter passed. That made it a little difficult of a day. Physically I am healing pretty well. I've been sore the last couple of days just from the bruising involved in such a major surgery but that is starting to fade and I will be ready to start going for short walks and light indoor cycling (no spinning yet :( but soon hopefully) in the next couple of days. I've added slightly more physical activity to my day by comitting to an hour of tidying / organizing our house and atleast a load of laundry a day. Today, just sorting the laundry and putting away the last loads we washed was most of that hour. But by sorting the laundry and getting it all ready in the laundry room, I got the bedroom pretty close to clean at the same time. I even changed the sheets!
Emotionally, we are getting through. I know I wrestle with my emotions each and every day. For the most part, there is still little guilt because I know we did the right thing for her. But, the anger and sadness just don't disappear. And there are certain unavoidable things that trigger both. This makes me feel like maybe I can't handle the world and frankly, some days I can't. But a little at a time, a little more each day, we keep getting by.

No comments:

Post a Comment