Thursday, July 21, 2011

Quotes of the day week two and other random musings by Lia.

So, since the quotes of the day lat week, where I passive aggressively made fun of my customers and staff was such a hit... we will do it again!! Just kidding. But if there is one thing this blog needs, its a little humor. And there was a bit of it this past week of work.

Tuesday July 12. Day of the Rodeo parade in Colorado Springs which goes... RIGHT by our restaurant. Hence, we get slammed before the parade, we twiddle our thumbs during the parade, and we get slammed after the parade. This happens for every Colorado Springs parade and no matter how much we prepare, we always get killed. So I'm explaining the "plan" for the night with the servers, be busy, be slow, be busy, etc. And one of my servers says, "Ohh... so you are going to keep first off's until after the parade ENDS?" I say yes. He says, "See, we were just talking and we were thinking, you should start sidework during the parade because it will BE SO SLOW and then we can clock out.... and run from here before you get slammed after the parade."
I smile and reply back, "Well, that is a great idea.... however, this is not, as the saying goes, My first rodeo."

Wednesday and Thursday I was off, no quotes of day.

Friday, July 15. I tell one of the other managers about how our opening server always walks in a greets me with, "OH MY GOD! LIA! I AM SO PISSED OFF!!!!" He just laughs and says, "Oh... hmm, yeah, We don't have those girl talk moments when her and I open together." Server doesn't miss a beat before saying, "Well, I used to all the time with Tyler (former GM)..."  We all giggled very immaturely.

Saturday I don't have quotes for because everyone was grumpy... Seriously. Everyone. It was too hot or something because I had more negative feedback about NOTHING this week than I've had in a long time (skip ahead to tuesday)

Sumday, I think there was a quote... I forgot it. I sorta remember a little kid saying something to me that was so hilarious I didn't think I would ever forget... but I didn't write it down, hence... no longer remember.

Monday, one of our servers opted to hang out on our patio quite late with one of our regular customers (off the clock). This is not the first time, and she has been told MULTIPLE times how inconsiderate this is of her coworkers. So, the quote of the day is again from a server, but via pictures:
Tuesday... Lots of tourists and again wicked hot with some grouchy people. So... two quotes, one specifies the grouchy complex Coloradoans have when its over 95.
Written on a comment card: "Your milk is expensive and your pizza is too spicy" Uh.. what? I was kindof glad that there was no contact information left on it, because I have to respond to all comment cards and I don't even know where to begin with this one...
And from three guys that were new to our restaurant: "Do you guys have any questions about the menu?" two guys that are looking at the menu ask a couple questions and we have a pleasant conversation. The guy talking to the cashier (who I thought was already ordering), steps back and says, "What did you say? I'm their interpreter." I kind of stuttered a bit in reply to this, I had just had a conversation with them and they spoke perfect English. So the guy adds, "You see, they are from Kansas. I interpret, that way you don't have to speak so slow."

So, it is my Sunday night. And today was productive. I finished a small sewing project, I tidied the laundry room which was beginning to look like a disorganized walk in closet again. I did some dishes, I planned a dinner (and executed it rather well if I do say so myself), did some laundry... AND!!! Started on the latest renovation project. I'll show off the before photos now. What I will be tackling next is my sewing table. It was a major score when we found it at the ARC in February for $20 but it has always been an eyesore. Its just not pretty.

 This is what it looks like open and all set up.
This is what is looks like all folded up. Notice the outdated dark laminate, the silly detailing on the front door

 And the less than attractive drawer pulls
And the not bad but not great, super simple million in a million furniture feet.
So, I got to work on that today, starting by pulling it all apart, painting the hardware and priming over all the laminate. I am hoping that the turn around on this project won't be too long, because its my sewing table... and I use it! A LOT!!!

Oh, and also Ursa got a new toy. I picked it specifically because it cracked me up.
Its a stuffed flyer saucer, complete with alien that says "take me to your master." Its always a tough choice picking a toy for her because she is very very intent on destroying them but also because there are so many options!! So far, the little ET isn't showing too much damage, though Ursa occasionally gets fixated on tearing off his antennae and I have to distract her with something else.

1 comment:

  1. that is the most fantastic dog toy ever! "take me to your master"- pure ridiculous genius. Athena has a new toy- it's stuffed dog whose head is 3X as big as its body and the eyes take up about 50% of the face, it has a coller that say "the dog." We did not purchase this toy, one day when she got out and was chillin in the front yard it was just there-brand new looking too. She loves it. And it looks hillarious. especially when she grabs it by it's enormous head. i'll have to take a picture.

    ReplyDelete