Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Because Friday is my Monday

Another interesting little insight into the restaurant world...

I am not a nine to fiver. Monday doesn't give me a case of the Mondays and Fridays don't have me saying TGIF. I never have been though. From my first job, I've always worked places that are open seven days a week. And therefore need people seven days a week. And therefore... I've only ever had weekends off when I have requested them... at least two weeks in advance.

Personally, having recently made a quick stop into a grocery on a Saturday morning and having tried to go down to the lake on a Sunday, I am happy to not be off work on the same days as EVERY other Joe Schmoe that is off trying to get things done. Being off in the middle of the week means the store lines are short, I can schedule appointments on a whim because I can say, "oh I'm available anytime these two days," the trails and parks are quiet... and probably some other benefits I can't think of now.

These benefits are less realized during the summer when people vacation, and kids are out of school. But still, movie theaters are less likely to be sold out, and the dog park is a little more sane.

It is something to adjust to though. And I could see how some people wouldn't enjoy it. Afterall, I need two weeks advance notice to make it to any family event since they are all on the weekends. I have to ask favors in order to do cool charity events like the bike ride we are doing at the end of the month.

And many people can't follow. I post on facebook on Tuesday, "Finally my Friday!!!" and all the comments are related to how I cannot follow the week, because its only just begun, certainly not ending! And when I go to the bank to do the deposit for work Friday morning, they say, "Have a great weekend!!!" and I say, "Oh, its my Monday." They give me a funny look. Atleast they finally stopped rubbing in the three day weekends they get so regularly since it seems like there is a "bank holiday" ever other week.

But... I like this way of life. And to make it even better, Peter's schedule is completely backwards too. He even sometimes has a "late night after work beer" at 8am. His Friday nights (end of shift, last day of work week) are tuesday mornings. His monday mornings, are thursday nights.

As funky as this all sounds, we describe it this way, because it is the only way people seem to be able to follow. My schedule isn't so confusing because I still work during... somewhat normal working hours. But with Pete working overnight, it totally throws people for a loop. When you explain that... tuesday morning is friday night for him, suddenly people are like, "ohhhh! two days off, how nice!"

Since we enjoy our mid week weekends, I don't suspect it will change anytime soon, so... pardon us if we are bragging about a having had a great weekend on thursday afternoon. And just remember, while you are celebrating TGIF, I have a case of the mondays.
A beautiful day off bike ride September 17, 2010. (a Friday... or "Sunday", depending on who's schedule you are working from)

No comments:

Post a Comment