Friday, July 29, 2011

Maybe not the best idea...

We will start with a picture from a lifetime ago.
Maybe not a LIFETIME... but man does it sure feel that way sometimes.

For a few years after college, I didn't even ride my bike. I cried when I sold it before we moved to California, but I hadn't put any miles on it in years.
So, when my birthday present last year turned out to be that Pete and I found a DEAL on barely used mountain bikes at a local shop, I was PSYCHED!!! We had been talking about me getting back to riding for our entire marriage but I had always copped out... because if I wanted to spend my day doing something, I wanted it to be with Pete and Ursa, so we hiked, and climbed and camped, and geocached... but no biking. UNTIL! Last August when we got our new old bikes.
Every moment off the rest of the summer and into winter we were on them. We rode downtown. We rode in a nearby traily park. We rode to work.

Skip forward a bit and cue... dramatic complicated pregnancy, near death experience, death of a child.

I was SOOOO excited at my two week appointment when the doc said I could start SLOWLY doing LIGHT workouts. I really felt like I had to be moving to start feeling like a normal person again... especially after months of restricted activity, doctors, ER visits, etc. Then she clarified by asking my workout of choice. "I like to ride bikes..." I said casually.
She cringed. "Yeah, you could ride... a stationary bike in the gym... slowly. But you can't do hills yet and its going to be a while before bumps are comfortable."

AND THEN!! I got permission to return to normal activity at 61/2 weeks post deathbed. (I don't know that the doctor would have granted it had he any idea what MY definition of normal activity is) But he did. And I ran with it. Literally.... I think I was on the treadmill that very night.
I went back to work, we did light rides on the greenways. I would enjoy them but realize that... unfortunately, I still feel like I just had major surgery at times.

But, a month ago... I saw a sign near the elevators in the parking garage. It was a poster advertising the "ride for hope" benefiting CASA. Already intrigued as I am familiar with CASA and the amazing work they do, I read more thoroughly. And then I saw the route: Gold camp road.

Gold camp is Pete and I's go to for anything recreational. We've camped, climbed, geocached, photographed, dogwalked, biked, searched for water, grilled, had campfires, and dreamed of further adventures along many different parts of this historic road leading from Colorado Springs to the old gold mining area in Victor, CO.

So, I do what many wives do when they want to get an idea in their husband's head without truly... proposing it. I hinted... coyly... "So, last night in the elevators I saw a sign for a charity ride to benefit CASA. And guess what the route was: super cool idea... Gold camp. From bear creek park to victor."

I didn't expect such immediate, definitive response. "Let's do it. That will be awesome."

So, in a few short hours, we will be embarking on a 38.8 mile uphill journey via bicycle. I'm pretty sure its longer than I've ever gone before. And while not technical at all, I know its the least amount of downhill relaxing time I've every had.

And to think, just 5 months ago, I was nearly dead.
I don't think I'll be back at that point tomorrow.... but I do assure you... I am riding for completion, not speed. I have figured out just how many miles I HAVE to go per hour in order to finish before they clear the course (and its not fast, so I'm confident I can at least finish).

I was never the most impressive or competitive on the cycling team... but I was there. And I did finish every race I started (including Albuquerque, where I cracked three ribs on the course practicing the night before). But this... this will be a feat to brag about. Maybe not in the accomplished cyclists list, but most definitely in mine.

Wish us luck, and I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow!!!

2 comments:

  1. yay! bike riding! you are my hero, I can't do anything for 38.8 miles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, how did it go?! We really need to chat sometime. I love it that you are biking and being adventurous...my time is coming too, I can feel it!

    ReplyDelete