Friday, September 16, 2011

One for the hubby

On the way home from work tonight, I heard this song by Weezer. Its been on the radio nonstop but it was a quiet moment in my thoughts and I actually listened to some of the lyrics. It is a pop-py song called "I want you to."
"The moon was shining on the lake at night,
Your Slayer t-shirt fit the scene just right.
With smeared mascara,
I looked into your eyes, I saw a light.

You told me stories about your chickadees,
They didn’t like BB guns or stupid archery.
The jumbo lifeguard, he let them use the pool all day for free.

Then the conversation stopped,
And I looked down at my feet.
I was next to you and you were right there next to me

Then I said, “Girl!
If you’re wondering if I want you to,
I want you to!
So make a move!
Cause I ain’t got all night!"




I giggle at this chorus because when it came to Pete and I, I made the first move.
Oooh, scandalous, you are thinking. You are wondering if you should keep on reading... Most of my followers are parents and grandparents (and I do mean MY OWN parents and grandparents)... I assure you that this will remain as PG rated as always.

It was a dark night on I-25 headed back from a forensics meet in Denver. Pete was sitting one seat in front of me. And after a full day of flirting (days, weeks, months, who knows where we were at this point), I whispered something in his ear (I don't remember what, but I would be willing to bet it was pretty G rated) and grabbed his hand. And we held hands the whole way back home. 

"Nothing" came of our high school friendship as we moved on in various ways and lost touch until Pete randomly emailed me in November of 2005. I had tried to think nothing of this car ride for years as I figured it was just a silly adolescence thing until one of the emails from Pete included this, "but i do seem to remember a long drive back from a forensics competition, holding hands and awkward silences. and then thats it, thats the last time i remember you. i dont really know what happened but it has stuck in my mind for a long time. maybe you can fill me in. pete"

Pete moved back from Germany, we began dating, he went to Iraq, came home, I was still faithfully his and suddenly we were engaged.

"The rest of the summer was the best we ever had.
We watched Titanic and it didn’t make us sad.
I took you to Best Buy,
You took me home to meet your mom and dad.

Your mom cooked meatloaf even though I don’t eat meat,
I dug you so much, I took some for the team.
Your dad was silent,
His eyes were fixed to what was on TV.

Then the conversation stopped and I looked down at the ring,
Your folks were next to you,
And you were right there next to me.

Then I said, “Girl!
If you’re wondering if I want you to,
I want you to!
I swear it’s true!
Without you, my heart is blue.

Girl! If you’re wondering if I want you to,
I want you to!
So make a move!
‘Cause I ain’t got all night!"


We will call Pete's aunt Amy the first to know about our engagement as we ran into her around town the FIRST DAY I was wearing my ring and she immediately spied it. We all kept close lipped until announcing to the parents a few days later, but I saw the look she gave me after seeing the new ring on my left hand...

"So much pain may come my way,
There may come a day when we have nothing left to say!

When the conversation stops,
And we’re facing our defeat.
I’ll be next to you,
And you’ll be right there next to me.


Then I said, “Girl!
If you’re wondering if I want you to,
I want you to!
I swear it’s true!
Without you, my heart is blue.

Girl! If you’re wondering if I want you to,
I want you to!
So make a move!
‘Cause I ain’t got all night!"


Through everything, Pete gets it. Or he doesn't. But even on the days he doesn't, he is still the closest to it. He gets me. And he keeps me sane, puts my head back on straight, holds me while I cry, rolls his eyes at pregnant people with me, and so many more things. 

So, even during those times when it really feels like its me against the world, I just try and remind myself that it is we against the world (yes, I know that isn't grammatically correct, try and stop me)...

And I sure am glad I made that first move.


No comments:

Post a Comment