Sunday, November 6, 2011

t-minus 8 days...

With my surgery in just eight short days, I have spent the time since scheduling it already realizing the differences and similarities to the last surgery.

The main difference is simply the lead up to this time around. March was an emergency surgery that I expected to schedule for many weeks later in a life or death situation.
But now, it is a scheduled time and place. So, I have much more time to think about the possibilities. And that's a very emotional thing to do. I wonder about stupid things like, "Does the food really taste as bad as I remember? Will I have to have those puffer fish contraptions on my legs that blow up every few minutes and hiss all night? Will they make me use the exhaling "torture" device?"
The fact is, this time is a little less severe so I have time to obsess and wonder about those silly things. Does it matter? No. But I'm wondering.

So needless to say, its been a stressful tone around here. We have talked about it endlessly and now it is just easier to distract ourselves.

And today was pretty successful at that. It was a nice day with my husband.
We started by sleeping in and then going downtown. I needed to pick up my paycheck and so we had brunch at a restaurant down there too. We went to an Irish pub where I had AMAZING corn beef hash and we shared a fantastic Guiness cheese soup.
While at brunch, we talked about starting a project today and Pete suggested we go thrifting. Yes please!
But we didn't know where to go close to downtown and ended up at this store that USED to be a goodwill. It is now an antique, vintage and homemade consignment shop.
It was so fun to walk around in. We found a bunch of super cool stuff. We had a ton of fun walking around and admiring things, but didn't find anything we really wanted to bring home.
So we moved on with our day. And Pete drove around a sorta back way so I got to look around at all the cool old houses and point out for sale signs.
But that wasn't all! We washed the car and then stopped at the sporting goods store to look at a couple things Pete has been eyeing. Since we were at the mall anyway, we ventured around for coffee. I had a vanilla latte, my favorite.
And we were heading toward the exit when I saw that the winter socks on display were BOGO!!!

One of the things I remember most vividly about my last hospital stay is that my feet were FREEZING. And pete just kept putting socks on me... And all the ones he had grabbed from the house had holes in them!!!

So I've been asking for fuzzy socks or slippers... And today was the day. I got these
They look AWESOME.

The afternoon was filled with a football game while I cleaned and crafted. And then dinner with the parents.
Kind of the perfect day. Definitely the perfect day to not think about surgery.

I've got 7 more days and 5 more work shifts before this all goes down. I'm looking forward to relieving the pain and issues I've been having the last few weeks, though of course I'm nervous too.

Ah well, its all in the works now!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you had such a nice day with good distractions. I'm sure thinking and praying for you. I hope all goes well.

    ReplyDelete