Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Blueberry Muffins

I found / combined this recipe from a couple others. They turned out delicious. And today, it was one of these blueberry muffins that powered my first 5k (and run at all) back at altitude. And despite my concerns about altitude sickness and general out of shapeness, it was one of my best ever! But this is a blog about food, so all I'm trying to say is they are delicious and full of some decently balanced nutrients (atleast in my book).

Blueberry Muffins
DRY INGREDIENTS
1 C all purpose flour
1 C barley flour
2 tsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp Baking soda
1/2 tsp Salt (we use kosher)
WET INGREDIENTS:
1 C Nonfat vanilla yogurt
2 eggs
2/3 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 c canola oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup frozen blueberries

METHOD: Whisk together all dry ingredients in a medium large bowl. Set aside. Whisk together all wet ingedients in a medium bowl. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and STIR JUST ENOUGH TO COMBINE (Do not over mix).

Spray a 12 cup muffin pan with non stick spray. Bake at 375degree F for 15-18 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to cooling rack.


I do not have a muffin pan and instead split the batter equally between my 8 ramikins. For these, I baked 10 minutes at 375 and 16 minutes at 350. (though I suggest that with caution. The oven in the apartment we just moved into is probably older than I am and I haven't taken the time to double check how accurate the temperature setting actually is. It seems to be taking longer than normal for most things)
Now, for something I haven't ever posted with my recipes: NUTRITIONAL CONTENT!!

I found this tool online at http://caloriecount.about.com/ . It may not be super precise, but atleast it will give you an idea of what you are eating.

serving size: 78 g (1 muffin out of 12 per recipe)
calories: 183       calories from fat: 53
total fat: 5.9g
saturated fat: .8g
Cholesterol: 32mg
Sodium: 125mg
Total carbohydrates: 28.7g
dietary fiber: 1.8g
sugars: 10.7g
protien: 4.5g
Vitamin A 1%
Vitamin C 2%
Iron 9%
Calcium 6%

So there you have it: another recipe to enjoy...
Cheers! LiA

No comments:

Post a Comment