Thursday, February 4, 2010

Something to start with

As long as I have resisted the... blogging phenomenon, I'm finding it hard to decide on an exact subject for this first entry. I think its because i have so many ideas of what I want to post in this space that I don't know which to start with. SO... here we go. A recipe. The following is a recipe that has been passed around my husband's family for a few years now. I was entrusted with it and the acceptance of "and you can do whatever, I know you'll find some great way to improve it." and I feel that the changes to our most recent pot have indeed changed it from something great to... WOW. I'll put this in a traditional recipe format, but I do have a few footnotes to make... I suggest reading all the way through.

Chicken Tortilla Soup... by a series of Gringos (including myself)

Ingredients:
1 medium red onion, diced small to medium
1 medium yellow onion, diced small to medium
1 large can diced green chili
1 small can chipotle chili in adobe, diced *


~Saute these ingredients over medium high heat until onions have carmelized and liquid has pretty much evaporated


2 (14oz) cans fire roasted tomatoes***
1 can whole kernal corn (drained)
1 can whole kernal corn (dumped the juice in the pot too)
1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)
1 lb chicken. cubed, shredded, or pulled off rotisserie chicken
10 cups water
6 chicken Bouillon cubes **
4 beef Bouillon cubes
3 shakes worcestshire sauce
teaspoonish cumin
pinch chili powder
~Dump all these ingredients in a soup pot and bring to simmer over medium heat. When Onion/pepper mix is done, add to pot. Let simmer atleast 30 minutes to let all the flavors come together and honestly, its better on day two... but who can wait until then to enjoy!?!?!?!


~Serve with a sprinkle of cheese, a splash of lime juice and a small spoonful of sour cream. Tortilla chips or corn tortilla strips put under the broiler until crispy should be added upon serving. Personally, I like mine to stay crispy so I eat them on the side or as a dip, but I guess that kind of takes the tortilla out of the tortilla soup.

FOOTNOTES:
*Chipotle chili in adobo is delicious. Its a mediumish chili. Using the whole can will mean this soup will be medium spiciness for about two days and as it sits longer get spicier. If you're worried about overdoing, use less, or pull the seeds out of the peppers before dicing. (You should be able to find this in the mexican food aisle. You can also just use an extra can of diced green chilis)
**Use whatever your favorite broth source is. We sometimes boil the chicken bones for added flavor, use canned broth, use base... but the 60% chicken, 40% beef is an important element.
***I just recently learned about fire roasted tomatoes. They are awesome for soups and chilis. In my grocery, they are available only by hunt's and only in the 14oz cans. But however you can get them, it should add up to 28oz. Before using fire roasted tomatoes, we used 2 cans of "Mexican" tomatoes, the ones with the peppers. So if you're unlucky in finding fire roasted, don't despair... you can still have tortilla soup.


I've been experimenting in the soup department for a couple months now. Having been a picky kid, I wasn't ever a soup fan. I started learning the basics in the first kitchen I worked in: a student run restaurant at my now alma mater. It was there that I was thrust into trying the soups of the day every day and realized that soup is delicious, comforting, can be quite healthy, AND is cheap to make. What's not to like? We're planning on making a gumbo for the superbowl. (because its in New Orleans or New Orleans is playing? Maybe both... thats how much I know about football) I haven't made gumbo since that first kitchen prep job and even then I was mostly just the stir-er. I remember it being time consuming (but atleast at home I can have a beer while I wait for the roux to brown) but well worth it.I'll let you know how it goes.

But for now, CHEERS! LiA

No comments:

Post a Comment